Thursday, September 8, 2011

Conversations While Coloring

One more great thing about fall?  I got my Bible school kiddos back!!   I usually teach a Wednesday night Bible class during the school year but have the summer off (when classes run on a different schedule).  I just LOVE my Bible class kids!  No matter how crummy a day I could have had or how tired I am, they always make me laugh.  Out of all the ages I've taught over the years, this is easily my favorite - that beautiful childhood window after the "diaper changing and potty training" but before the "I know it all already" age.   I've had this particular group for a couple years.  They are absolute sweethearts and I think most of them have a real future in comedy?  Their take on life is amazing and you just never know what they will say.


Dillon's picture he colored

 
Last night I had 7 charming little ones, ages 4 to 7, and our lesson was about how Moses' mother hid him in a basket in the river where he was found by one of Pharoah's daughters and then raised as an Egyptian prince.  We generally have our story time and then the kids talk and visit as we're doing our coloring or craft activity that goes with the lesson.  Here is a quick glimpse into of some of the conversation as we colored our pictures:

Moses basket looks like a tanning bed.

Is the Princess wearing a bra?  (6 year old girl asking) Because my friend told me she was going to bring me a bra but she didn't.  That's a lie, right?

Does the Princess have hair like on "Tangled"?

I have ALL the Princess movies!

1st child:  Did Moses have horses when he was a Prince?  I wonder if he had horses.
2nd child:  Of course, but he didn't like do rodeo or nothing.
3rd child:  No silly, they did chariot races.
2nd child:  So did they have horse trailers?
1st child:  Duh!  They didn't have trucks.  They had to WALK everywhere.  (with big eye-roll)
2nd child:  No they didn't.  They rode their horses.  (with a big "Ah-Ha! I got you" expression)
3rd child:  Or camels.  Sometimes they rode camels.  And donkeys.  But they called them the bad "A" word.

Girl:  Did the princess have blond hair?
Me:  Well, I've never seen an Egyptian person with blonde hair, but you can color it any color you want.
Girl:  I think she should have blonde hair.
Boy:  Mine has green hair.
Me:  (glancing at his paper) Uhhh... yes she does.  In fact her whole self is green.  ??
Boy:  She's an alien Princess!

See what I mean??  And if you could just hear the tone of voice and see the facial expressions!  They are too funny!

Of course Dillon is in this class and I know they must be a riot on Sunday mornings too.  Every few weeks the Sunday morning teacher will flag me down and say "I've got a Dillon story for you!"  I'm always like thinking silently... oh no, what did he say this time?  This fine Christian lady has probably heard it all in her 40+ years of teaching classes; I'm just glad she's kept her sense of humor!   So she tells me that while they were studying about how God spoke to Samuel during the night in the temple and Samuel didn't realize it was God speaking to him, that Dillon breaks out with "I know!  I know! Maybe it was like he was a Ninja and sneaking around the temple!"  

Oh my!  We really need to work on supressing that instinct to say just about anything that pops into his brain.  Although I have to admit, he doesn't have a very good example in me?! 
=)  

No comments:

Post a Comment